- Product Name : Renault FT
- Product Number : 1001
- Manufacturer : Takom
The build started with the engine. The fit of the parts were very nice, little to no clean up or flash. Minimal putty was used on the entire build. I did add quite a few modifications to add realism to the engine / engine compartments, most of which would seldom be seen after completion.
Next was the interior of the tank, same as the engine and bay, the fit was excellent! Here I let my creativity run wild with the extra details. I used copper wire for the parking brake lever and magneto wires, scraps of thin leather for the tool holder straps as well as a cover for the leather seat cushion. The kit lacks ammunition for the main gun so 1/16th scale 3D printed 37mm ammo was used. Cloth bandage tape was used for the canvas back rest for the driver.
No surprises here on the fit. The only complaint was the trench skid is too thick and out of scale, nothing a piece of brass sheet cannot fix! I also replaced the center of the muffler with brass sheet as I could add dents and bullet damage to it and the tail skid.
The Girod turret lacked any cast detail, which for 1/16th scale was a shame, so I used Tamiya white putty and stiff brush to add the cast texture.
The suspension was straightforward, not much in the way of a “suspension”. The molded coil springs just didn’t cut it, so I replaced them with some springs I had laying around. The tracks were made up of 3 pieces and were are workable, for my first tank kit….this was a pain!
Paint and Finish
For the paint I used Ammo Mig WW1 French Tank paint set and sealed it with Future. The decals are very thin and easy to tear.
I added a very muddy and typical WW1 base and opened all compartments as to depict the tank being refitted after a battle, I also added marking of an undocumented U.S. Expeditionary Force “3 of Hearts”
The mud is made from a mix of peat moss, brown acrylic paint and Mod Podge Gloss. The “tree” is a large broke stick from the yard.