Banner Top
Monday, October 19, 2020
Monday, October 19, 2020
  • Product Name : M-8 greyhound and modelu3d military figures Project. (Part 1 )
  • Product Number : Rubicon 280028, us afv crew leaning 1920, us infantry with binoculars 1938,us infantry with binoculars 1933, us infantry with m1 carbine 1902, us infantry with m1 carbine 1900
  • Manufacturer : Rubicon models and modelu3d military

 

Modelu3d

A few photos of the figures before paint.

The greyhound was built pretty much out of the box with the exception of a few wires, making the stowage,  adjusting of the .50 machine gun and thinning out some plastic parts namely the recoil guard (like seriously! I know it’s a wargaming vehicle and all but that part is really visible!!! ) anyway I digress.

As a commission build the very kindly man who sent it to me had the interior painted and a added a touch of weathering. This I just supplemented with some pigments and oil stains and the odd wire coming from the radio knowing full well it wouldn’t be visible. But hey I would know. Next up I had to make sure that  the wonderful figures from modelu3d would fit, and after a little huffing and puffing and the odd naughty word they slotted into place. This was then promptly photographed so I knew how to place them when the time comes (and it will come….I promise) now to the details.

Because this like the majority of my other builds was a copy of a photo, I spent literal hours staring at it recording bits and pieces that I could see. And it was soon decided my little greyhound needed stowage. A lot of it. Now at the time I had no idea of all the aftermarket things you could buy for it so I dived into my spares box to see what I could’ve find and managed to salvage a lot of lead foil and loads of 1/35 Russian ammunition pouches which just so happened to be the same size as an American bag in 1/56 these were then test placed and finally glued on. Now the greyhound was ready for somebody paint.

The built greyhound before paint showing off her salvaged storage.

A front view of the finished greyhound this photo really Highlights the chipping and pinwash.

The finished greyhound and figures test fitted.

The greyhound was painted with Vallejo olive drab as primer, then sprayed with a layer of ak chipping fluid. I then resprayed with a self mixed lighter colour which was sprayed on the flat surfaces and on the top of the details to get some colour modulation. After this step I used water and a toothpick to activate the chipping fluid, and Added small chips to represent the wear and tear of the vehicle. Next up was a dark green filter as the colour modulation left the model a little paler than I wanted. Then I turned to my greatest weathering friend. The Vallejo black wash. And applied it as a pin wash to highlight small details. In some areas I mixed it with a sepia shade to represent a grime buildup around the the deepest recesses.

Now many of you will read this and wonder about the tools… but fear not as after I had done the pin wash I painted the tools and the .50 with ammo mig weapons colours. I left these super light otherwise they would be lost on the already dark model. While doing this step I also took the liberty to paint the stowage and add the decals, the stowage was painted using lighter than usual colours and highlighted with Vallejo sunny skintone+the base colour. The aerial identification flag at the back also received an additional off white+beige highlight around the edges so it stood out and added some variation to the model.

Finally I  was ready to face the armour modellers worst nightmare. Earth effects.

Many modellers either make or break a model at this step. They either douse the thing in pigments and hope for the best or add a tiny dirt splatter so that the end result looks like a museum vehicle. For me though I never have a problem with dust/mud/dirt simply because I aim to replicate a photo so to me this step is like painting a difficult camouflage pattern with oils and pigments. But enough boasting here’s how I did it.

My first port of call was to replicate the many layers of dried mud you would see on a work vehicle these are usually a light dust colour. So to replicate it I used ammo mig oil brushers and then wiped the majority of it away to get a very subtle streaking effect. Once dry I added another layer, this type flicking a brush against a toothpick creating a splatter effect. Once that was dry I added a self mixed assortment of pigments to give the mud more volume and depth straying light working my way darker. The final step was using some of the before mentioned Vallejo black wash mixed with a sepia shade to get an effect of wet streaks and dried up fuel stains but this was limited to the engine deck. ( The wheels were given similar treatment to the hull except I didn’t include the splashes step.) with the greyhound finally finished all I had to do was make sure the crew still fit.

Thanks for reading!

Also stay tuned for the next part where I attempt to rectify a mistake (the jerrycans or severe lack of ) and complete the diorama with the groundwork and some figure painting.

Ps. The real photo below 👇

Banner Content

2 Comments

Rafael 1st July 2020 at 8:16 am

Fantastic step by step description, well done!

CL Models UK 1st July 2020 at 10:39 am

lovely work!

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

FOLLOW US

INSTAGRAM

YOUTUBE